Hundreds of students submitted creative and inspiring placemat designs to the NDS Placemat Contest, and our Facebook friends helped to choose three winners to be printed and distributed to schools for National Nutrition Month in March!
Students were invited to submit original artwork that encourages healthy eating and physical activity and/or promotes school lunch or breakfast. Three finalists from each grade category (K-2nd, 3rd-6th, and 7th-12th) were posted to Facebook, and voters were able to choose their favorite placemat in each grade category by “liking” them. At the end of the voting phase, the design with the most Facebook likes in each category won the contest.
Slogan Contest Winners
Eight winning slogans were also chosen from the placemat submissions. These catchy slogans will be featured on the NDS school lunch menus in the 2016-17 school year.
- “Pick a healthy treat that you can eat!” – Mickayla, St Dominic School
- “Breakfast lunch and dinner, eat healthy and you’re a winner!” – Dionela, St. Joseph Pro-Cathedral
- “A healthy lunch = a healthy mind!” – Angelina, Our Lady of Port Richmond Regional Catholic School
- “Start your day a healthy way.” – Princesa, Holy Innocents School
- “Be strong and you will never be wrong and never eat junk food!!” – Yeshuar, Chester Community Charter School
- “Eat more fruits and vegetables every day!” – Sam, Olney Christian School
- “Don’t waste it, taste it.” – Kevin, Good Shepherd Catholic School
- “Eat well, move daily, repeat for life.” – Christine, Good Shepherd Catholic School